Without the proper wellness program strategy, No health and wellness incentive promotion is guaranteed success. However, this doesn’t mean it has to be a complicated process. When making changes to an existing program or setting up a new one, if you cover the basics and work with experienced experts, you’ll find that your program is well on its way to success. It is essential to your program’s success that you ensure proper planning is aimed toward increasing participation in your health and wellness program. Listed below are a few basics to help guide you to boost participation rates for your health and wellness platform.
Enroll As Many Participants As You Can
-You need a well-designed and thought-out program where candidates can reach their goals.
-The more participants, the better for your program.
Build Excitement Among Participants
When building your program’s timeline, allow a sufficient amount of time to build up interest and excitement (several weeks or so) for your health and wellness program. A number of educational information and announcements released over the course of your build-up period will increase interest. Examples can include:
- Posters placed in high-traffic areas highlighting the program.
- Detailed information in a company newsletter.
- Email reminders
- Mail out information to go to the employee’s home address explaining the program (a spouse or family member may want to participate if applicable).
- Host an all-department meeting where the program and its’ benefits are presented, and questions can be answered.
-Use attractive visual presentations
-Demonstrate a few examples of what to expect
-Pass out questionnaires and enrollment packets for those who would like to enroll on the spot
-If applicable, prepare testimonies for those who have already participated in the program
Create a small market study group of employees. This group can help brainstorm preventative measures to avoid program obstacles that could potentially prevent others from joining. Here are a few examples to help get the focus group started:
- Pick an evaluation that is simple to complete.
- If applicable, blood draws, and any health tests that require fasting should be scheduled early in the morning to prevent going too long without eating.
- Some tests, such as blood draws, should be optional for those who would like to opt-out.
- Try to keep questionnaires and screenings short, that way not too much time is taken away from work.
- Testing should be available early in the morning or later in the evening for those who have busy days or spouses that would like to participate and only have a certain time frame to make the test.
Build an Enjoyable and Fun Event
It’s all about atmosphere, if fellow participants aren’t feeling the pizzazz, then they may not want to continue the program. For instance:
- Decorate! Blow up balloons, put up banners, signs, posters, etc.
- Hand out rewards for participation- movie tickets, gift certificates, t-shirts, company promo gear, etc.
- Offer refreshments, once testing has been completed.
- Play music, and maybe set up a Karaoke booth!
Offer Participation Incentives
- Lottery Tickets or Scratchers
- Free trip for two, free golf, dinner at a nice restaurant, etc.
- Hand out 1-2 larger prizes and several smaller item prizes
- Discounts toward a fitness center or gym membership
- Offer a deduction on their health insurance premium
- Rewards for meeting health goals after six months
- Financial compensation towards 5ks, riding their bike to work, health seminars/classes
Motivate Participants to See The Value
Health and wellness programs and tests are a privilege to participate in; help candidates understand that.
Present Various Testing Sessions
There will be those who are hesitant to start a new program and those who will wait until others have tried to see the outcome. Many companies reported that their employee participation had nearly doubled after offering the same program a month after the first launch. A few health and wellness statistics have been provided below.
- 28% reduced sick leave, and 26% reduction in medical costs for workplace wellness programs. –smallbiztrends.com
- Medical costs fall by about $3.27 for every dollar spent on wellness programs. –bcidaho.com
Set an Expectation That Everyone Will Join
- Include an appointment card with the time and date already set when handing out lifestyle questionnaires. Let the group know that appointments can be changed or altered.
- Ask participants what screening session they would like to join, don’t ask them if they would like to participate.
Combine Participation with Benefits
- Some benefits need to be contingent on if they participate in the program.
- Implement this scenario: If they do not keep up with their health, then their expenses will be greater, therefore they will have to pay more for their insurance premium. Set up health insurance co-payments based on their participation, making up the difference if they don’t participate $500- $1000 per year.
- Extend the invitation to spouses, and allow them to participate as well.
- Offer a big reward, such as an exotic trip, for those who have continuously participated in the program all year.
Set An Example
In essence, the administration must set the tone that everyone should participate in the health and wellness program. This goes a long way and sets the example that your organization leads by example, is innovative, and believes in good health.
- A message should be sent out or posted that everyone is expected to participate and the importance behind it. Administrators will also be actively participating, so make that a point as well!
- Most prefer visuals, a picture showing departmental heads participating in health screenings or wellness programs will go a long way!
- An event planned for your organization’s board members to participate and try the program can help get their input and support.
Ensure Legal Compliance
- There are several laws that pertain to health and wellness programs
- In the planning phase, make sure your program will comply with all applicable laws. You can read our article here to get a basic understanding of the laws and regulations involved in health and wellness programs.
The team at All Digital Rewards can help you develop a health and wellness incentive program solution that best fits your needs and that of your employees. Contact ADR by calling 866-415-7703 or click here to schedule a quick demo and learn how we can add value to your program with our health and wellness incentive program.
Have questions or want more info?
Send us a message or reach us by phone at
+1 866-415-7703 ext 2